Mitsubishi Electric has been a worldwide leader in providing turnkey energy storage systems for nearly a decade! Our customers choose energy storage systems for a number of reasons:
- Meet peak demand without building additional infrastructure
- Integrate renewables and distributed energy resources
- Provide backup power to remote locations in service area
- Provide inertia for regulation, market participation for ancillary services or when generators shutdown
Meet peak demand
Utilities are increasingly deploying “Non-Wires Alternatives” (NWA), wherein some technology other than a transmission or distribution line is used to meet local power requirements. Energy storage deployed in load pockets can be used for such an application by charging from the grid during low load times and discharging power back into the grid during peak load times. This may allow the utility to defer upgrading transformers or other T&D assets.
INTEGRATE RENEWABLES AND DISTRIBUTED ENERGY RESOURCES
In 2016, Mitsubishi commissioned a 50MW, 300MWh system– the largest battery storage system in the world. The system is used for short-duration smoothing of renewable output as well as for long-duration shifting of energy from noon, when there is a surplus of solar, to the evening peak load.
PROVIDE BACKUP POWER TO REMOTE LOCATIONS
Many utilities are looking to improve SAIFI & SAIDI numbers, System Average Interruption- Frequency Index and Distribution Index. Frequent outages on smaller, radial fed lines drive these reliability indication numbers higher. Depending on the length of the line, energy storage can be a viable deferment to a traditional wires solution.
PROVIDE INERTIA FOR REGULATION, MARKET PARTICIPATION FOR ANCILLARY SERVICES
Energy storage can provide “synthetic inertia” for regulation or when generation drops offline. This can be seen in some renewable generation when there is cloud cover or the wind suddenly stops or starts blowing. Many developers have pursued projects in the PJM region for participation in the ancillary services market, although this has slowed down recently due to decreased revenues.
WHY OUR CUSTOMERS ARE EXCITED TO WORK WITH MITSUBISHI
- Experienced team providing large scale, turnkey critical infrastructure projects for 30 years
- Support of in-house studies group
- Technology agnostic - Mitsubishi will choose the best technology for each job
- Battery cells are tested in our own facilities to confirm manufacturer specs before being deployed
- One of the most experienced energy storage teams in the world, boasting the largest energy storage system in the world, a hybrid li-ion and sodium-sulfur system, island systems with remote switching capabilities, renewables smoothing applications, frequency response applications, and more!
With over 90 years of experience in providing reliable, high quality products, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation is a recognized world leader in the manufacture, marketing and sales of electrical and electronic equipment used in information processing and communications, space development and satellite communications, consumer electronics, industrial technology, energy, transportation and building equipment. Embracing the spirit of its corporate statement, Changes for the Better, and its environmental statement, Eco Changes, Mitsubishi Electric endeavors to be a global, leading green company, enriching society with technology.
Click here to visit MEPPI's website!
Let us know if you have any questions about MEPPI. We can help!